Henk van Rensbergen (guest)
As a photographer, Henk Van Rensbergen explores the empty buildings of our times, an urban world where mankind has disappeared.
The photos show the silent beauty and the melancholic decay of these places, sometimes revealing their secrets… Imagining what would happen in a post-apocalyptic world where mankind has disappeared, Van Rensbergen imagines a new occupants for these abandoned places, creating images and impressions, in which fantasy gains the upper hand. “Some of the photos were taken at locations I visited during my flights, most however are the result of planned explorations. I prefer to set out on my own, but with many locations it isn’t wise to do so. I am very aware of the legal questions involved. Therefore I never break my way in, I don’t invade ones privacy, take nothing but photos, leave nothing but footprints. My work reproduces the atmosphere that reigns inside. These places may have been abandoned by people, their presence is still very tangible. It is that eerie ghost-like feeling that stirs our imagination so much. I was a kid when I first started doing this, I remember the urge to explore that freightening abandoned villa in the dunes of Oostduinkerke, a Belgian coastal town … the first exploration in a long row!”. Henk van Rensbergen has already had several exhibitions and was represented at different art fairs.
His photographs and his original passion have been widely featured in the national and international press.
Belgian editor Lannoo has published a total of 5 “abandoned places”-books, some of which are still available.
- Photographer & Airline pilot
- 1968Born in Brussels
- 2019Solo exhibition, galerie Dumonteil
- 2018Beauty of the Beast, Museum Chateau d'Ursel
- 2018No Man's Land, Galerie Dumonteil
- 2017Affordable Art Fair Brussels
- 2017"The Salon IV", Group Show, LKFF Art & Sculpture Projects
- 2017Saint-Paulus Church
- 2017Concert Hall Bruges
- 2017Cultural Center Menen
- 2016Musée de la Poste
- 2014Life is Art
- 2012Cultural Center Asse
- 2017Photo book «No man’s land», Editions Lannoo
- 2016Photo book «Abandoned Places - Pocket version», Editions Lannoo
- 2014Photo book «Abandoned Places - The Photographer’s Selection», Editions Lannoo
- 2012Photo book «Abandoned Places 3», Editions Lannoo
- 2010Photo book «Abandoned Places 2», Editions Lannoo
- 2007Photo book «Abandoned Places 1», Editions Lannoo